Sadler Series 2018- Rudy Ruettiger and Reflection
Like Nathalie De la Torre

Description:

Published: March 25, 2019 0 0 106
By: Nathalie De la Torre, Tarleton State University

Rudy was by far one of the best motivational speakers I have ever heard. He was brutally honest, and he let everyone know that his journey was not easy. In today's society we like to sugar coat things, and sometimes if we have to work for a position we give up too soon. However, Rudy literally started from the bottom and climbed his way up. No was not an option for Rudy. Rudy wasn't the perfect student, and he wasn't the most athletic. He had an unbelievable worth ethic though. He studied at a community college to raise his grades, so he could be accepted into Notre Dame. Once he made it onto campus, he worked as a groundskeeper and was determined to become a part of the team. Rudy explained that if you truly want something then you're going to work for it. You won't ever make up excuses if you truly desire it. He mentioned that if a door closes then you should find another way to accomplish your dreams. Rudy knew what his dream was, and he never let a closed door or a no stop him. People tried to use his size as a means to talk him out of it, but it made him work harder. He intimidated others with his determination and resilience. I strive to have that same determination. This experience showed me there have been times in my life where I gave up too easily even if it was for something I wanted so badly. I know obstacles are going to come across my path, but that shouldn't waver me from my aspirations.